Learning Portfolio Showcase
Join Dean of Students Sean Van Koughnett, McMaster alumni and local employers at the Learning Portfolio Showcase.
Whether you’ve already created a Learning Portfolio or just want to know more about how to use the portfolio to build your professional brand, the Learning Portfolio Showcase is a great opportunity to:
• Find out how the Learning Portfolio can help you tell your story and become a more competitive job applicant
• Get feedback on your portfolio and network with McMaster alumni and local employers
• See examples of portfolios created by McMaster students and get inspired!
When: Friday, March 28 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Where: Gilmour Hall, Room 111 (Council Chambers)
Schedule of Events
New Mentor Role
- Now available in Avenue, the Portfolio Mentor role. Instructors can enroll this role to allow people serving as mentors access to dropboxes, discussions, content and news. Mentor roles are not able to mark, or see grades.
Student Elections to Board of Governors and University Planning Committee
Desire2Learn Student Desire2Excel Awards
- The Desire2Excel student award is back in 2014. Your submission can center around one of two chosen topics regarding education. You will select one of the following topics:
Creative Engagement: Tell us how you’ve used Desire2Learn products (this could be your online courses, ePortfolio (called Learning Portfolio at McMaster), mobile access) in an engaging and effective way and/or ways you’d like to be able to use Desire2Learn
Kaleidoscope for the Future: Be innovative – tell us about those crazy, brilliant ideas you have to incorporate technology into the classroom; what revolutionary ways have you thought of to enhance learning that doesn’t currently exist?
The single winner will receive US $500 CASH and a “Desire2Excel 2014 Student Award Winner” widget/logo. For more information: https://community.desire2learn.com/desire2excel/.
Learning Portfolio Resources
- The Student Success Centre offers various workshops and other resources to help students develop their Learning Portfolios. Workshop offerings include:
• Introduction to the Learning Portfolio: Need help creating your Learning Portfolio? Want to try out the tool in a supported and guided environment? Join us for this session in Mills L107 during which Learning Portfolio experts from the Student Success Centre will guide you through the many tools and features that exist within the Learning Portfolio. Following a review of the features, participants will have the opportunity to work on their own Learning Portfolios.
• Reflection 101 - How to Effectively Reflect using the Learning Portfolio: This Workshop will help students to reflect using the Learning Portfolio. Methods of reflection will be explored, and suggestions for topics of reflection will be covered. Students will leave this workshop feeling comfortable participating in critical reflection to help them achieve a learning goal.
• Setting Goals for Success: Setting focused and realistic goals will increase your determination, motivation, and chances at achieving what you have set out to. This workshop will help you to develop attainable academic, career, or personal goals, and will show you skills and strategies to help you reach those goals.
Students can also come to the Student Success Centre, located in Gimour Hall 110, to meet with a professional or peer mentor to learn how to create or enhance their Learning Portfolio, or how to target their Learning Portfolio Presentation to a specific audience.
Updated Role Documentation
- Avenue Support has updated the documentation around roles, which should clarify what each role is capable of within Avenue to Learn. Feel free to download the new PDF chart located in our help documentation. As always, if you have any further questions about Avenue to Learn, contact Avenue Support.